Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gray Hutch Makeover

I made it through to the next round! Woo-hoo!!! 
even though it was by the skin of my teeth:o)
A Big Thank you to those of you who showed your support and voted. There were some GREAT entries out there!
My favorite was the Pottery Barn Inspired Mirror. I have that on my to do list. 
The next round is Decoupage, and I have already started on that project.
I am beginning to learn that I don't know as much as I thought I knew when it comes to crafting. This has definitely been a humbling experience.

So anywho, here is the before picture of the hutch that I transformed. It's seen better days don't ya think?
 I purchased some "oops" paint for $3 at Lowes. This was the most frustrating paint. It took 3 full days to dry. I have had problems with this brand before, but at the time of purchase, I was only paying attention to the price tag and the color. 
 Here is the contrast between the old color and the new.
 The doors are my favorite part of this piece. The tree branch silhouette is just some swirly brush strokes. Very easy. The bird took a little more concentration. I was terrified that this poor little bird would be disproportionate and that I would have to repaint the door with the base color that wouldn't dry. THANKFULLY, I got it right the first time:o)
 I purchased this stencil from Hobby Lobby for around $1. I closed the store down that night. I had just finished a client's hair(7:30 p.m.) and raced out my driveway to get to H.L. before they closed which is at 8 p.m. 
Stenciling is time consuming, but I think adds a little something.

 I really like how it turned out. Thankfully there were enough of you voters out there who felt the same way, lol.
Now, to finish my next 2 projects. One will be for the competition and one is a "just because" project. I think you'll like it;o)
Have a great Wednesday!!